It wasn’t the best of weather that saw the judging of the Wensleydale Longwool Classes at the Great Yorkshire Show in Tuesday 12th July 2017 but with full classes overseen by Mr J McHardy (Endrigs) the eventual Breed Champion was found in Mr E Sherwin’s Shearling Ram. Female Champion came from the Shearling Ewe in full wool class Mr & Mrs P Hodkinsons ewe.
Further success was found for Ernie Sherwin winning the Shearling ewe class with his homebred Nosterfield ewe and she went on to take reserve Female Champion. Reserve Male Champion came from Helen Collinge and her own Greenbank ram lamb who took the top honours in a strong ram lamb class.
In the Interbreed Championships the following day Ernie Sherwins’ Shearling Ram went onto to take the overall Longwool Championship.
The full results are as follows.
705. Aged Ram 1st – A.Fisher, 2nd. M.Elliott
706. Shearling Ram 1st. – E. Sherwin 2nd. E.Sherwin 3rd. E.Sherwin
707. Ram Lamb 1st. H.Collinge 2nd. J.A.Pennell 3rd J.A. Pennell
708. Yearling Ewe in full wool 1st P.Hodkinson 2nd. L.Beaton 3rd. A Fisher
709. Shearling Ewe 1st. E.Sherwin 2nd. A Fisher 3rd. M. Elliott
710. Ewe Lamb 1st M.Elliott 2nd. H.Collinge 3rd. M.Elliott
711. Group of three 1st. A.Fisher 2nd A.Duffield 3rd. M.Elliott
Male Championship – Champ. E.Sherwin. Res. H.Collinge
Female Championship – Champ. P Hodkinson. Res. E.Sherwin
Overall – Champ E.Sherwin. Res. P Hodkinson
Interbreed Longwool Champion – E.Sherwin
Wool Class; 1st. J.N & S Prescott, 2nd M.A. Elliott 3rd J.N. & S Prescott
Click the photos to enlarge!